Sunday, September 4, 2011

Will you help?

Hello. Today's post is going to be a tribute to my dear friend Beth's Daddy. First I'll quickly tell you about my card in case you have a charity/organization you would like to make one for. I used the Notebook Paper Background from PinkByDesign to make my stripes. Over that I stamped the Ribbon from the Race For A Cure Charity set from MyCreativeTime. I heat embossed both with white embossing powder. The sentiment is from the Breast Wishes set from PinkByDesign.

Here is what my friend Beth wrote....

As you may know, I lost a loved one to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease for the New York Yankees icon, attacks a person’s muscles – gradually robbing their ability to walk, speak, eat and breathe; yet usually keeping their mind intact. Nerve degeneration leads to muscle weakness and impaired speaking, swallowing and breathing; eventually causing complete paralysis and death. While some symptoms are treatable, there is currently NO CURE.


I am walking in the 10th Annual Les Turner ALS Walk4Life on Saturday, September 10, 2011 at Montrose Harbor along the lakefront in Chicago. Our two mile walk raises critically needed dollars for the Les Turner ALS Foundation patient services, research and public awareness for ALS. I’m writing to ask for your support.

In spite of the cruelty of this disease, we were lucky. The Les Turner ALS Foundation has the programs and resources we needed—from diagnosis and second opinions to treatment, resources and research.

I feel that we could not have gotten through this difficult experience without the Foundation’s support.

I am asking you to help in one of two ways. Sponsor me as I walk or walk with me as a member of my team and help spread the word and ask your friends and family to donate to this important cause.

Thank you for helping me make a difference!

***Her and her family's goal is to raise $1,500.00. If all of my sweet followers donated a dollar we could help them meet their goal! How cool is that?! Please go HERE to donate as much as you would like to help. ***


Thank you soooooo much for considering helping my dear friend and her family. Unfortunately, her and I both lost our Daddy's within about a year. She was a tremendous support system for me when I went back to Illinois to bury my Daddy in May.
I love you Beth.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! These cards are not the easiest to make. They mean so much to the ones we love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, thanks so much for giving me an opportunity to support a team in this event. I lost my grandfather to ALS when I was 13 and it was so hard to watch his body deteriorate while I could see in his eyes that he was aware of everything around him and still sharp as a tack. I regret to say that I've never taken action myself to raise money to support the Les Turner foundation, but I'm so happy to be able to support someone who lost a loved one recently and in that way support others as they battle this disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki - I just donated - I recently had a friend diag w/ ALS (last week) and thank you for doing this and for your friend for walking.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this. I lost my grandmother in 2001 from ALS, and it is the hardest thing to watch a person go through. Thank you for spreading the word about this diease.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for stopping by my little corner of the crafty blogosphere! i LOVE comments!